Jennifer Serravallo wrote the book on reading strategies—literally. The Reading Strategies Book has been affectionately compared to the How to Cook Everything cookbook, a comprehensive collection of good ideas from experts that you can use right away as is, or to inspire your own innovations.
In this workshop, Jen brings those reading strategies together with her expertise in conferring, leading small group instruction, and matching students to just-right books. Teachers will learn how to:
• Get to know students as readers and develop goals for each reader
• Work with multiple students simultaneously, even if they aren’t reading the same book
• Differentiate for individual students, even when working with a group
• Discover ideas for assessment and flexible grouping structures
• Hold students accountable for previous learning
Author of 11 books on reading and writing, Jen began her career as a teacher in Title 1 schools in NYC and later served as staff developer for Teachers College Reading & Writing Project at Columbia University.